March 07, 2008

Post Surgery Day #29 7:30p

We went to see the endocrinologist yesterday. He was really nice and very helpful. He informed me that right now, I'm not considered type 1 diabetic because of the surgery, but we'll have to keep an eye on it to see if I can be off of the insulin on my own or have to continue with it, which I will then be diagnosed type 1 diabetic. The good news is that I had blood work done and when I left the hospital, my AIC Levels (not sure what that means, but it shows how much insulin my body is making on its own) was 1.8. Today they called and said the AIC level is now 4.6. She said it's still a bit low, but I might be able to be okay without the insulin. We are going to take it slow though. Today we dropped my daily insulin from 10 units to 6 units and my levels are still in normal range. The doctor said my levels looked great, so I'm doing really well. Unfortunately, he told me something that was a bit worrisome. He said that he has seen that people's islet cells die after a year or two of working and then I would become type 1 diabetic. That wasn't that bad of news until he started talking about the fact that with all of that my hormones would get out of whack and I would have a very hard time conceiving or carrying a child to term. He recommended that if we are planning to have a family, the sooner the better, he said. Obviously, this is something we already planned on doing anyways now that the pain is gone and I am off the suckers, but it is definitely good to know that there could be problems later, since we never heard that the cells could die after a few years. So we plan on seeing how my glucose levels are in the next few weeks and as long as they are okay, we will drop the insulin to 4 units and then get off them all together and see how it goes. Other than this, things have been the same. The incision is healing really well. The upset stomachs and tiredness are still there and still aggravating. I really would feel better if I knew that these upset stomachs will be going away in the near future. I know they told me before the surgery that the exhaustion would be the hardest thing and that it would take 8 months to a year to feel better and over this, but jeesh! I didn't really believe it! I figured a week or two and I would be back to normal. Guess I was wrong! So, I am planning on starting back to work on the 17th if all is going okay. I think I'll start working half days. If things haven't improved much in the meantime, I may push it back a week, but that is my plan right now! One of the good things is that I am actually doing homework while I am home! I will let you know if anything else changes! Love, Nicole

No comments: