March 18, 2008

Post Surgery Day #39 10:30pm

So, I was planning on going to work today but I woke up this morning sick and in a lot of pain. James got up at 6am and went and got me some pain meds and some other meds to help. This would be the 3rd time since surgery that I've had to take my pain medicine, dilaudid, and I hate that. I have the choice to take 4mg or 8mg, so I haven't had to take more than 4mg, but I still absolutely hate taking pills, especially pain pills. Yesterday, my blood sugar for dinner was super high and today it was the same thing and then I finally remembered that each time I ate about an hour before dinner and if you don't wait 2-3 hours, then your sugar is peaking high because it's digesting food, so it's not an accurate reading. Yesterday I had to take 1 unit of corrective insulin, but I didn't do it today since before I ate i was still in the 80s, so I was pretty sure I was okay. That is one thing that you have to try to remember when you're taking your blood sugar. Also, wash your hands! One time I had eaten a cookie a few hours before taking my blood sugar and i took it and it was like 160! I took it four times in a row and it dropped to 150, 130, 110, and finally 75 after I washed my hands a few times on a paper towel. If I would have taken corrective insulin at the 160 mark, my blood sugar would have plummeted really low from the accurate result of 75 and it can make you become hypoglycemic and you can pass out or even go into a coma if it gets really low, so be careful to any future patients! If your reading seems abnormal, wash your hands and re-take as many times as you think needed. Well, Tomorrow will be the first day back to work and I am going to take it easy! A lot of you have expressed your concerns and I appreciate it! I will take it very easy and ease back into work and all the lovely stress that comes with it! Sorry I haven't posted in a while! Not much goes on during my days of recovery besides resting, eating, and watching TV! :) I will let you know how tomorrow goes! Love, Nicole

PS-I have a special favor from all of you that read this blog. Please pray for the Greene Family. They are going through something right now that is very tough and sad for everyone involved and I want to respect their privacy but also give them the prayer support they need. Please keep them in your prayers and pray that they get through this tough time and that God watches over them.

2 comments:

Nicole Abernathy said...

Nicole didn't ease back into work, she worked too long yesterday and it very exhausted and tired today. Be sure to start out slow!!!!!!!!! She better be sleeping or at least resting right now!! I love her too much to see her relapse. Her Mom!!

Nicole Abernathy said...

yes I am almost 25 yrs old and still get yelled at by my mom! She takes good care of me though and I love her for it!