May 22, 2008

Back up to Minnesota-3 Month Follow Up

So, mom and I flew up to Minnesota yesterday morning at 6am. We had a layover in chicago and then got to minnesota at about 8:30am. We went straight to the clinic because since I had to fast, I knew I was going to get blood work and thought maybe they could do it before the appt. I went to the counter and told the lady that I had a 10:30am appt but I was going to need bloodwork and to do the research boost test where they take your blood before you drink it and then 2 hours later. our flight was leaving at 1:30, so I wanted to make sure we got everything done. Well, ended up we didn't get any blood work before the appt and got to see Dr. Sutherland around 11am, which he was really upset that they didn't do any of it after he asked them to. So I rushed over to get the blood work and started drinking the boost and then they just did the after bloodwork at like 45 minutes afterwards, since that's the best we could do. Seeing Dr. Sutherland was amazing. He couldn't believe how well I was doing and I passed with flying colors. I am off the pain meds that I have been on for countless years and the scar is healing fine and I am feeling pretty well. In all, it was a great trip and so reassuring to hear that I am doing well. We discussed the fact that the enzymes upset my stomach and the nausea and vomiting is still around and he thinks that my body is producing too much bile and it's sitting in my stomach now that there isn't a pancreas. There is a surgery he recommended that would cut the duodenum and re-route the bile 45cm from the stomach and then cut some nerves to prevent the reflux. They would go through the same scar, but that is where the conversation ended. I didn't want to talk about that surgery and said that I think I'd see how time helped before considering another one since life is kind of starting over for me now. He said that even time could possibly help and heal some of the places that have been re-routed, so that is the plan for now. We finally got home around 7pm last night and I am wiped. 4 flights in one day does a number on your back and neck, let me tell you. So in all, things are going exceptionally well and it's pretty exciting. I do hope anyone that experiences this surgery does as well as I do, but if you don't it's ok, you will get through it and just do the best you can. I got so frustrated going back in the hospital and still feeling pain, but I have to remember that it's only been 3 months and that is nothing compared to 10 years of pain. I heard that Dr. Sutherland is operating on a 17 yr old girl tomorrow that has has chronic pancreatitis since the age of 3. She has been home schooled this year because it has been so bad. My heart goes out to her because I know how bad it sucks to have pain everyday but she will be so thankful to have the surgery in high school where she can go on to college and not miss a thing. I wish I had my surgery earlier. Oh, one of the funny things is that Dr. Sutherland recommended botox for my constant frown line from the pain. Thanks Sutherland, i'll keep that in mind! If you haven't met him, you are missing out because he is one of the best things that has come into my life and he is so caring and sweet. All he could say was how well I looked and how nice it was to see an actual smile on my face. He is a rare doctor and it's sad that there is only one of him because every doctor should be exactly like him. That's all for now!!! Love, Nicole

No comments: