May 16, 2008

You will have a pic line in your neck. This was the scariest thing to me. it doesn't hurt or anything. It's held in place by two stitches. Although, me being moved from ICU, it got caught on the bed and one stitch tore out. still didn't really hurt that bad, FYI. This looks scarier than it is and it's a Godsend when they take blood like every 2 hours. They can administer your meds through here, take blood, and they gave me my blood transfusion through here. It is so much nicer than having IV's in your arms and trying to sleep. Although, I did have two other IV's in my arms, they came out after a couple of days so it makes it much more comfortable. I even slept through some of the blood draws since it's so quick and easy. Also, I was terrified of it coming out. They tell you to take a breath in and it was out before I even realized what happened. You don't feel a thing.



Alright, here's the big thing... This is my scar after 4-5 days post surgery. You will have TON of fluid in your body and it will look like your 5 months pregnant when you're out of surgery. Don't worry, they start giving you lasix to get rid of all the fluid. The scar didn't hurt too bad and after the first couple of days, things are really pretty good. The first night it was impossible to breathe without agonizing pain and so I would breathe shallow breaths that made my heart rate sky rocket, but do what you got to do. I didn't sleep the whole first night and they finally adjusted my pain pump and I slept from sat pm to sun pm! They also had to mess with my NG tube twice on saturday so I'm sure that helped add to the sleep. As much as I hate NG Tubes, you don't want them adjusting and pulling and pushing on them, so just stick it out the best you can. I didn't take pics of the NG tube because I hate them. Mine came out on tuesday and probably a little too early but it makes me feel so much better that I can fight off the other things. You will have a catheter too but mine came out on monday I believe, just as soon as you can get up and move around on your own! Walk, walk, walk, I am telling you. They won't let you walk on saturday but I think starting on sunday they did. (I had surgery friday morning). The only problem you may have is right by your belly button. It's where your natural bend is so my scar is pretty thick and raised right there, but I think it gets better each and every day. You won't be able to lie on your stomach for a few months because of the pressure, but you'll be okay and comfortable on your side, i know. So, these are about the only pictures I took of the surgery. I recommend taking a lot of pictures because you're going to want to look back and commend yourself for getting through something like this. Also, when you get home, put vaseline on your scar every chance you get. it'll stain tank tops so be careful but it makes it heal so much better and faster.

No comments: