February 26, 2009

Results back from Minnesota

I got my lab results back from my trip to Minnesota. I was tested on my C-Peptide levels, Glucose Levels, Avg Glucose, and Albumin/Prealbumin levels.

The C Peptide test measures how well my body is producing insulin on its own. The fasting test was done and my level was .7 (normal range is .9-6.9) The doctor said this was fine and that it wasn’t anything to worry about. Then I drank a boost and they took another test to see how my body responded to it. My C-peptide was then 2.2, which shows my body’s insulin productivity responds well to eating and is functioning normally!

My fasting blood sugar level was 84 (normal is 80-120). 2 hours post eating it was 75! My 3 mo average blood sugar(A1C) was 5.7. Anything below 6.0 is not considered diabetic, so I am doing wonderfully in that area. The doctor would like to try me completely off insulin once my pregnancy is over.

The last test was the prealbumin and albumin. We did this test to see how my body was absorbing nutrition since I’m not on the enzymes anymore. I’m not anemic or have any vitamin deficiencies, but we wanted to make sure I was absorbing properly. The prealbumin test was 18 (normal is 15-45)! My body is absorbing perfectly normal all by itself! I was quite excited! The albumin test was 3.8 (normal is 3.9-5.1), so I just missed this by a hair, but again they said not to change anything because they believes it’s all functioning properly.

So, I just wanted to share the good news that everything seems to be working great!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Hi Nicole,
I got your blog address from Dr. Sutherland. I met him at the Lightning Run in Minn. when I was there for my one year check up for my islet cell transplant. I am writing the same kind of blog about my experience, and have enjoyed reading yours. Like you, I have the highest regards for all of the staff I have encountered in Minneapolis and am having a wonderful and successful experience.

strongerTHANyouthink said...

I have been reading your blog and bawling for about two hours now. I have CP and am having the islet cell transplant this summer.

My ONLY goal in life is to grow up and become a mother and have a family.

I have heard mixed things about having children without a pancreas, but this post has made me so relieved. Your son is beautiful && you are incredibly lucky. I was a little apprehensive about the surgery, but now I KNOW it will be okay.
Your site gave me hope.