February 19, 2008

Out of Hospital Day #5

So, we're having a bit of deja vu.... we're sitting at the airport and our 2:30 flight has been delayed due to late arrival of our plane. the current departure time is 3:20, but still no sight of the plane yet and it's almost 2:30. We had our appt this morning with dr. sutherland and everything went great. My hemoglobins are back up and are at 10.3! We discussed the flu and he was quite surprised that they would even give me the flu vaccine with my current condition, so did agree that it was the flu. So, we also found out that nicole can never pursue a life as an alcoholic. I can still have liquor but have to be careful getting drunk because of the diabetes. He did say that my islets are at 4000 and between 3-5000, 40% of the people get off the insulin completely! I haven't had to do any of the corrective insulin when I eat, so I'm hopeful that I can eventually be off it completely! I also got a bit of joy because mom brought up the fact that I wasn't eating much and james and mom have been on me a lot about that and he actually said to not push it whatsoever since there are new "hookups" we need to give them time to heal and start working, so he said it was absolutely fine that I'm not eating much now and definitely wouldn't eat until I'm full and stuff! i looked at mom and we both started laughing! ha! :) so, a bit of relief for me! I am ready to be home! we have a few hour layover in chicago, but it'll be fine. We got to the airport and the wheelchair came and got me and we got checked in and everything, but when we got to the security, we ran into a mean guy! I said i could walk through it instead of waiting on someone to come down with a special wand and we got up to the thing and he made me stand to the side forever and made all these people go by me! well, this security lady said something to him and said "she needs to get back in her wheelchair." well, he kept doing it so she finally stuck her hand out and let me through. of course, then he made us "randomly" get padded down and everthing, but it was fine. So, we're sitting at our gate, bored, and ready to start home. James last night had a 103.3 fever as well and definitely got the flu. I had to persuade him to do all the things that he was making me to do for my fever and he felt much better! he woke up at about 6am sweating, but his fever was gone and he's feeling much better. I am relieved. I was worried about him being home alone with that! So, we will be home tonight and can begin the recovery at home! I can't thank all of you enough for the sweet texts, emails, cards, flowers, and everything that I received. It was so amazing to have the support I did during this! It helped tremendously! I can't wait to see all of you and I hope everyone is doing super well!! Love, Nicole

No comments: