February 27, 2008

Recovery Day #20 5pm

I am sorry I haven't been on in a few days!! Things have been pretty good. Today, mom took me to get some lunch, get some pants hemmed, and then picked up some chinese food for dinner in brownsburg! China's best!! yum! So that was about all I could do today. Still no pain, which is amazing! The biggest complaint I have is that I get an upset stomach often. I take zantac in the morning and evenings,which help, but it wears off after a few hours and I have a sour feeling in my stomach. It's just very uneasy. Mom took me to target on monday and I got some tums, which really help, especially when I eat. I think with how many pills I have to take with each meal, they really upset my stomach. Today we got all the glue off my incision and it looks really good! I am amazed how thin it is and it's already a light pink color, so I'm really hopeful that it will be a very thin scar. We keep putting vaseline on it which really helps it heal. Just FYI- mom works for a plastic surgeon and he says the best thing you can do for a scar is put plain vaseline on it and it really does work!! We got some scar guard stuff for later when it's a bit more healed, but I am just amazed at how quickly the incision is healing. There is just one little part that has a scab on it, but that's it. You can put the vaseline on it right after you leave the hospital and it helps get the glue off and help it heal. So, we're recovering quite well. Besides the sour stomach, the other big thing is the lack of energy. I will tell you now I am amazed at how little energy you have after this surgery. I know being in the hospital takes a lot out of you, but also your body has a lot of recovering to do internally. I went to target for maybe an hour and then went to lunch at olive garden and I was wiped and it's been 20 days since surgery. I think that it will come back soon, but I will tell you right now to the future patients- get lots of rest!! You will feel so much better. I pushed myself pretty hard one day and it took 2 days to recover and I almost slept 2 days straight! Sleep when you need to and you'll recover much better. That is one thing the doctor was adamant about! REST!!! So, other than that, I don't really have any more incision pain or anything. I will tell you that when you walk hunched over, your back will start killing you! I get these back spasms and wow! they hurt a lot! don't put heat on it either during a spasm! it makes it worse! So, that's about it. no pain is amazing!! so, so amazing!!!! Lori, duncan, Megan, and Brian stopped by last friday and Lori said that she could already see a difference in my eyes! She said they have a brightness to them now! that almost made me cry! I really feel that my life has started over since Feb. 8th! 10 years is a long time to have pain and you forget what it felt like before then! let me tell you... it's great! I am so thrilled to not be on suckers anymore and am weaning off the methadone, so soon there will be no more pain meds! I will have to take digestive enzymes for the rest of my life, but hopefully the majority of the pills will die down after a while. Oh, I forgot one thing... The doctor said my islet cells are in the 4000 range. between 3-5000 is the range where your islet cells can begin to work on their own and you can get off the insulin. I am very hopeful I will not be diabetic once they start working after 6-8 weeks! Anyways, that's about it for now! I will definitely keep this updated more! Thanks for thinking of me and the sweet thoughts and prayers are so greatly appreciated! Love, Nicole

No comments: