February 15, 2008

Recovery Day #7 1pm

Today is the day that I get to get out of the hospital! It was really iffy last night if I was going to go home tonight and we're pretty positive we still are, but not completely out of the woods yet. Yesterday, I started to get this tickle in my throat and just figured it was becuase I couldn't really cough. Well, last night at about 8pm, I started developing a low fever. My usual temp is 97 so at about 99.2, we just figured it was because of the central line, since it's common to develop a fever after having that for a week. Well, by midnight, I called james and mom becuase my temp was 100.4. At 4am, it was 101.5 and there was a dr. in my room. He ran some culture tests and kept checking my temp, every hour. It went up a bit more and held until this morning. I was then woken up at 7am to a huge glass of apple juice with sugar. I had to down three of them! After the first one, they tested my blood sugar, which was 59 (normal is 80-120) After the second one, it was 54! we had no idea why it was dropping!! After finally the third glass, it was 65, and the endocrinologist came in and thinks that maybe I'm on too much insulin during the day, which is a very good sign that my islet cells may completely work and I will not have to be on it after a few months. Well, then the doctor and interns came in and told me that my culture came back positive, so i had some kind of infection, like a bladder infection, or something like that due to the catheter. Well, I now have to drink this nasty contrast and get another IV in becuase they want to do a cat scan to see if there is an abscess in my stomach. That could be why I don't feel too terrible, but my fever is up. I have developed a pretty good cough that hurts like hell, so I just figured I was getting a viral infection. So, I just had a chest x ray as well and will have a ct scan at 1pm. We should get the results back by 3 or so. The dr said that if there is an abscess that I could get an antibiotic and a drain put in, so no need to go back in to surgery. So, I am still on track for getting out of the hospital this afternoon, I hope. We'll be up here until tuesday, when I'll meet with the dr for my final follow-up and then head home. I will keep you updated! Love, Nicole

No comments: