February 13, 2008

Recovery Day #5 8:30pm

So, today was very long. The doctors came in and we discussed that it's probably time to switch to oral pain meds. so, we have taken me off the lipids, TPN, and pain pump today, so the only thing I'm left on is a bit of saline that should be done probably tomorrow. It's been pretty good. The pain is under control and I don't have to be on the suckers again, we hope. we got a plan from the pain management team to wean off for some months, but they are very adamant that everyone is different, so we'll have to see how everything goes. Today was probably the worst emotional day for me. Dealing with something for so many years is very overwhelming and also to get over the pyschological aspects of associating eating with pain is very weird. We have a wonderful nurse here, Liz, and she sat and went over all of this with me and explained all that she has seen qith different patients, so it made me feel better. We've walked around a lot today and I actually blow dried my hair and put on some make-up to feel human again. I still have about 15 lbs of fluid still on me, so it's weird!. It was funny walking out in the hall after that one since they didn't recognize me! So, We talked to Dr. Sutherland and Dr. Hughes today and the plan is that I should be out on friday, I believe. My diabetes counselor read thurs or friday, but I doubt it thanks to all the weaning of meds and vaccines i get to have in the next couple of days! Yeah, the bruises in the arms from the blood thinners, insulins, and vaccines aren't feeling too pretty anymore. So, hopefully we'll be out of the hospital on friday and then will have to be up here until my appt. with dr. sutherland on wednesday (he only does them on weds, i guess)so we should be home by wed night or thursday I hope! I am craving taco bell so badly! this hospital food is awful!!!! Thank you for the beautiful flowers and cards I've received! So hopefully, only a couple more days, which will still be the record for the shortest amt of time in the hospital! woohoo! Happy V day tomorrow everyone! Please eat some chocolates and lots of unhealthy food for me! Love, Nicole

2 comments:

Rita said...

Quite talkative we are.... :-)

A lot more is happening now, but you seem to be handling it all very good. Being off pain meds will be so different, won't it?

Tell your mom I hope she's feeling better soon.

Nicole Abernathy said...

I know!!! James keeps joking with the nurses saying that now they see what I'm really like since I'm not sleeping all the time!! With all the shots I get, my feistiness tends to come out quite a bit! :)